Here at Crick Primary School we teach children to read using ‘Read Write Inc.’ The Read Write Inc. programme allows us to teach your children to read with accuracy and confidence, as well as helping your children to develop a love of reading.
During our Read Write Inc. sessions at Crick, we teach the 44 common sounds in the English language and how to use these when sounding out and blending words for reading (decoding) as well as spelling (encoding). Each sound has a rhyme to help children remember them and help them with their letter formation, these can be found here. As their confidence in decoding develops they are taught to comprehend what they have read through effective questioning. The Read Write Inc. scheme has 5 underlying principles that we use in our teaching sessions, the 5 P’s.
- PACE –Children are all active and involved in a fun and creative way throughout.
- PRAISE – teachers praise the children constantly using ‘Praise Phrases.’
- PURPOSE – each activity has a very clear purpose linked to the sounds being taught.
- PARTICIPATION – all children take part in the session through partner work and choral responses.
- PASSION –We love teaching the sessions and this enthusiasm rubs off onto the children.
The official Read Write Inc. website has some very useful videos which demonstrate the pronunciation of the sounds http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/parents/
Please find some green words (words that can be segmented and blended) and red words (words that cannot be segmented and blended).