Welcome to Mercury Class
Mrs Morris is our class teacher
Ms Hinchcliffe is our teaching assistant
Click here to see what we are learning about in Mercury Class this term!
Things to Note:
- Children can bring a healthy snack in from home to eat during morning playtime (fruit is preferable).
- PE is on Monday and Wednesday. Please ensure your child has indoor and outdoor PE kit as we will be going outside whatever the weather.
- Spellings will be given out and tested on Mondays.
- Homework will be given out every Friday, this is then due in the following Thursday.
This half-term our topic is:
World War One
Cryptographers at work!
In the afternoon of Outdoor Classroom Day, we took our Computing unit outdoors. We are learning about cryptography, and used semaphore to send each other messages. It was very tricky!
We celebrated Outdoor Classroom Day by visiting Jubilee Wood. We had a super run around and played hide and seek and then looked at where we had planted poppy seeds in the Spring. We found some moss and Mrs Morris told us how it was used in the First World War to treat wounds. We then visited 'Tommy' and sketched him. We sat on the memorial bench and thought about the sacrifice made by the fallen soldiers in World War One. We felt very sad for them.
In Flanders Fields
We are learning the war poem 'In Flanders Fields' by John McCrae. We worked together to think about the meaning behind the poem and how the poet intended us to read it.
Today some of the children painted poppies onto stones which will be displayed in Rugby Town centre as part of the Armistice Festival 2018. The children looked very carefully at the features of the poppies and worked diligently to paint their designs carefully.
Re-start a Heart
We were recently visited by members of the ambulance service who taught us basic CPR, so that we know how to help should there be a medical emergency.
We used this clip from The Literacy Shed to inspire our writing about Joey's life. Come in and see our work!
We used drama to support our understanding of events that prompted the start of World War One.
Fantastic resources to support learning and homework activities
- Nrich - We use this site to develop our reasoning and problem solving skills in mathematics. Have a look around and try some of the activities. Typical activities we may use range from Stage 1** to Stage 2**.
- Mathsframe - The children will find lots of maths games and activities here to support their learning in class.
- Brick Blaster 5 - This website supports children's mental addition skills
- Brick Blaster 6 - This website supports children's mental subtraction skills
- Purple Mash - resources to support the whole curriculum. Homework may also be set using the 'To Do' tab.