Crick Primary School

Special Educational Needs and disabilities (SEND)

The schools’ Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo) is Mrs Lane. Mrs Lane also supports our SEND children and she can be contacted via the school office or by email

The governor with responsibility for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) is Mrs S Martin who can be contacted via the school office.

We do not discriminate against pupils with SEND and we do all that we can to meet the needs of a wide range of SEND pupils.

These fall into 4 main categories:

  • Communication, Speech and Language
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Emotional, Social and Mental Health
  • Physical difficulties.


At our school all teachers are teachers of SEND pupils and the majority of our pupils have their needs met within the classroom setting. However, teachers consult the SENDCo if they have additional concerns about any pupil and sometimes additional interventions may be put in place to support these children – this is SEND Support.

If further advice is needed then the SENDCo may seek support from outside agencies.

Northamptonshire County Council has a Local Offer which is available to schools and outlines the additional services that are available.

Details can be found here

Parents will be consulted at the earliest opportunity and we aim to work together with parents to ensure maximum progress. Pupils will be involved in planning and reviewing where it is deemed appropriate according to their age and level of understanding.

Sometimes pupils may have an Individual Provision Map (IPM) outlining the specific targets that are being worked on, these will be reviewed at least three times a year.

If children require further input, beyond the normal in school provision, then they may need an Education and Health Care (EHC) assessment. This is only carried out in circumstances when the needs of the pupil cannot be met following all other interventions provided.
Sometimes members of staff may require additional training to help them meet the needs of SEND pupils. This may take place outside of school or as whole school training.

Funding for SEND is through delegated resources from the school budget although the school can apply for high needs funding in exceptional circumstances. 

Our school Inclusion Policy sets out the way in which the school will address the needs of pupils with special educational needs and disabilities.  


If parents or carers have any complaints regarding SEND then they should consult the class teacher in the first instance. If further information is required then the SENDCo/Head teacher should be consulted. The SEND governor can also be contacted if necessary.