Welcome to Mars Class!
Mrs Miller and Mrs Lane are our class teachers.
Our teaching assistants are Mrs Hardbattle and Mrs Fisher.
This term our topic is
We will be learning about our local environment focusing on the village of Crick and the history of the canal.
Click here to view our topic web for this half term
Click here to view this term's homework grid
We went on a walk to explore the village as an introduction to our theme of our local area. Ms Herrington was our guide for the morning and gave us some very interesting facts about some of the buildings and what they used to be. Did you know that the village had a separate boys and girls school, a sweet shop, village jail and an old bicycle shop? We also identified different materials that the buildings were made from and observed how they had changed over the years. We also recreated an old photograph.
On Thursdays we join up with Neptune Class (Year 6) to do paired reading.
It is lovely to hear the children share the books together.
Things to note:
- PE is on Tuesdays and Fridays, however full indoor and outdoor kit should be in school at all times.
- We will be taking reading diaries in on a Monday to check and will change your child's reading book if they have read at home, however if your child's reading book needs changing later in the week, please hand it to us in the morning and we will change it that day. Remember - three reads at home in a week = a merit!
- Please make sure reading books and reading diaries are in school everyday.
- Library books are changed on Thursdays.
- Please let us know if anyone different is collecting after school.
- Water bottles should be brought to school daily. Please make sure these are named.
- Please name all uniform including coats, cardigans, jumpers, trousers/skirts, polo shirts as items of clothing can get separated from your child especially when they are changing for PE and we need to be able to reunite items back with their owner!
Dates for the Diary:
- 27th September Macmillan Coffee Morning 8am-9.30am. Bring your pennies for coffee and cake!
- 7th October - Individual school photographs. Remember to look smart and bring your best smile!!
- 7th October - Book Look for parents 3.35-4.00pm. Come and see our fantastic work!
- 17th October Parents Evening 4.30-7.00pm. Remember to book an appointment. We look forward to meeting you!
- 22nd October Parents Evening 3.45-6.30pm. Remember to book an appointment. We look forward to meeting you!
- 28th October - 1st November Half term. Recharge those batteries!!
- 13th November - Mars Class open morning 9.15-10.15. Come and enjoy us in our learning!
- Keep your eyes out for dates for the KS1 Christmas performance!
The Year 1 Phonic screening check will take place in June. Click HERE to view sample materials.
Here are some suggestions of how to help your child at home.
- Purple mash - please log in to this and explore it with your child. The login details are in your child's reading record.
Read, Write, Inc- useful phonics information and guidance. This is the programme our school follows.
- Phonics Play - https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ Some great phonic based games to play.
Newsround-The home of news and fun facts for kids.
- Top marks - https://www.topmarks.co.uk English and Maths games to play
- Oxford Owl - This is a great website where you can read books online. We share books from here regularly.
- River and Canal Trust - https://canalrivertrust.org.uk