Welcome to Mars Class!
Mrs Rhodes and Mrs Miller are our class teachers.
Mrs Rhodes is in school on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning.
Mrs Miller is in school all day Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
Our teaching assistants are Mrs Hardbattle and Mrs Fisher.
Things to note:
- PE is on Tuesdays and Fridays, however full indoor and outdoor kit should be in school at all times. Please ensure all kit is named and in school at all times.
- We take reading diaries in on a Monday and Thursday to check them. We will change your child's reading book if it has been recorded that they have read at home at least 2 times. However if your child's reading book needs changing at any point in the week, please let us know and we will change it that day. Remember - three reads at home in a week = a merit! Remember you can supplement reading with home books, library books and any reading material to encourage reading for pleasure.
- Please make sure reading books and reading diaries are in school everyday.
- Library books are usually changed on Thursdays however is subject to change.
- Water bottles should be brought to school daily. Please make sure these are named.
- Children have access to fruit daily through the schools Fruit and Veg scheme. Children can bring in one small healthy snack in addition.
- Please name all uniform including coats, cardigans, jumpers, trousers/skirts, polo shirts as items of clothing can get separated from your child especially when they are changing for PE and we need to be able to reunite items back with their owner!
Our Topic for Spring Term 1 is 'Let's Invent!'
We will be learning about many influential inventors of our time and how these inventions have made our lives easier over time. We will be thinking of our own inventions and investigating materials that we could use for them.
Click here to view this term's newletter
Click here to view this term's topic web
Click here to view this term's homework grid
We have already had an exciting start with our 'Robot WOW day!'. The child joined up with Year 2 to design, make and invent a Robot. We finished the day off by creating some adverts and in Dragon Den style pitched our inventions to the rest of Year 1 and 2 and the dragons 'Mrs Miller and Mrs Faupel'! They were all so inventive that we couldn't choose a winner. See photos below to see what our robot inventions were looked like.
Dates for the Diary!
Friday 31st January 2020 - Year 1 Assembly!!
Friday 7th February 2020 - NSPCC Number Day
Tuesday 11th February 2020 - Safer Internet Day
Friday 14th February 2020 - Mental Health Awareness Day
Our Autumn Term 2 Topic is
'Paws, Claws and Whiskers'
Our theme learning focus is animals and their habitats and the 7 continents of the world.
Click here to view this term's newsletter and topic learning web.
Click here to see this term's homework grid
We started our theme with our animal dressing up and art WOW! day with Reception, Year 1 and 2. Throughout the day the children visited 'Antartica', 'North and South America' and 'Africa'.
We found out which animals lived in these continents and if they were hot or cold continents. See below for a some photos of the day.
We were very fortunate to have 'Wild Science' visit to show us some animals. See below for a selection of photos taken on the day. We were all very brave as we had the opportunity to hold and touch the different animals.
Some of our leaf art from Outdoor Classroom Day
Dates for the Diary this term:
Please check back for any changes or updates.
Tuesday 5th November: WOW day! An introduction to this terms topic. Children are welcome to dress up as an animal of their choice for the day.
Thursday 7th November: Outdoor classroom day. Fun taking our learning outdoors.
Tuesday 12th November: Odd socks day for anti-bullying week.
Wednesday 13th November: Year 1 Open morning 9.15-10.15am. Come and join us in our learning.
Friday 15th November: Children in Need. Wear your pyjamas!
Friday 22nd November: Middle Wow- Wild Science visiting school. A letter has been sent out. Please let us know if this has not been received.
Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th December: KS1 and Reception Christmas afternoon performances. Details to follow
- Friday 13th December - Wear your Christmas jumper to school. Remember to bring a £1!
Friday 20th December: Christingle. END OF TERM!!
Our Autumn 1 topic is
We will be learning about our local environment focusing on the village of Crick and the history of the canal.
Click here to view our topic web for this half term
Click here to view this term's homework grid
We went on a walk to explore the village as an introduction to our theme of our local area. Ms Herrington was our guide for the morning and gave us some very interesting facts about some of the buildings and what they used to be. Did you know that the village had a separate boys and girls school, a sweet shop, village jail and an old bicycle shop? We also identified different materials that the buildings were made from and observed how they had changed over the years. We also recreated an old photograph.
On Thursdays we join up with Neptune Class (Year 6) to do paired reading.
It is lovely to hear the children share the books together.
To end out topic 'The Canal and River Trust' came to visit us. They explained how canals were built and we even helped to build a canal! We also took a water safety quiz to help us keep safe around the canal.
The Year 1 Phonic screening check will take place in June. Click HERE to view sample materials.
Here are some suggestions of how to help your child at home.
- Purple mash - please log in to this and explore it with your child. The login details are in your child's reading record.
Read, Write, Inc- useful phonics information and guidance. This is the programme our school follows.
- Phonics Play - https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ Some great phonic based games to play.
Newsround-The home of news and fun facts for kids.
- Top marks - https://www.topmarks.co.uk English and Maths games to play
- Oxford Owl - This is a great website where you can read books online. We share books from here regularly.
- River and Canal Trust - https://canalrivertrust.org.uk