Welcome to Year 5
Your teacher is Mrs Miles
Your teaching assistant is Mrs Hardbattle
Things to Note:
- Children can bring a healthy snack in from home to eat during morning playtime (fruit is preferable).
- Our PE sessions are on a Monday and Wednesday.
- Please make sure your child reads every day and records this in their reading record. We will check reading records every Friday.
We change from history to geography for this term and will be looking at Geography Field work and using maps.
Our termly newsletter is below together with the topic web and an updated homework grid.
Please continue selecting items from the Vikings homework grid if you prefer.
We had a great time celebrating the Queen's Jubilee, see the photos of year 5's homemade biscuits and year 5 drinking cold fruit tea infusion from champagne flutes and decaffeinated tea from cups and saucers.
Queen Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
During Summer 1, the class is going to look at all things Vikings!
We will also look at developing our map skills in Geography.
We will start with who the Vikings were, what the Viking raids were, and mapping where they took place. Following this, we will research the Danelaw and how it affected the relationship between the Vikings and Anglo Saxons. We will then look into what life was like in Viking Britain. How it became a unified country and finally the infamous battle of 1066.
Our class Topic this term is the ferocious and fearsome Vikings!
Our class reader is The Boy at the Back of the Classroom by Onjali Q. Raúf, as we had a lot of really meaningful conversations about refugees last term.
Fantastic resources to support learning and homework activities
- Nrich - We use this site to develop our reasoning and problem solving skills in mathematics. Have a look around and try some of the activities. Typical activities we may use range from Stage 1** to Stage 2**.
- Mathsframe - The children will find lots of maths games and activities here to support their learning in class.
- Brick Blaster 5 - This website supports children's mental addition skills
- Brick Blaster 6 - This website supports children's mental subtraction skills
- Purple Mash - resources to support the whole curriculum. Homework may also be set using the 'To Do' tab.